How to become a Member
The Lightmongers welcome applications from people who are actively involved in any segment of lighting related industries e.g. manufacturers, installers/contractors, distributors, lighting designers, trade associations, educational establishments etc; who can demonstrate a track record of achievement in the industry; an understanding of the Livery movement generally and who are interested in giving something back to the sector and the wider community.
Procedures for applying for membership
- Contact the Clerk to express your interest and request any further information that you may require. The Clerk will send you an application form or you can download one directly by clicking here.
- Complete the application form and seek the support of two Liverymen of the Company as sponsors. Your sponsors must have known you for at least two years and one of them is preferred to be a member of the Court of Assistants. If you need information relating to completing the form or seeking sponsors please contact the Clerk.
- Submit the completed application form together with a cheque, to cover the Freedom application fee and the first year subscription, to the Clerk. The payment will be refunded if the application is not approved or is withdrawn prior to approval.
- The Clerk will arrange a mutually convenient date for you to meet some members of the Court to discuss your application and to provide more information to you about the Company and the obligations of membership. If the applicant and the Company agree to proceed with the application a recommendation for membership will then be made to the Court.
- The recommendation will be considered by the Court and if it is approved the applicant will be invited to a formal admission ceremony at the next appropriate Court to take the Oath, sign the Freedom Roll and thereby become a Freeman of the Company.
Our members expect to, and are encouraged to, give their time, expertise, resources and networks to support our charitable, educational and professional activities. Whilst the demands of career and family will mean that at any given time the level of face-to-face involvement with Company activities may vary, our members can still make an important contribution to the work of the Company by contributing their contacts, expertise and other resources to support specific activities.
Freemen of the Company are encouraged to progress to full membership by applying for the City of London Freedom and then progressing to become a Liveryman of the Company. Click here for more information on progressing to Liveryman.